Set on high ground with inspiring, panoramic views, this magnificent former Victorian hospital is the jewel in Aldershot’s crown. Opened in July 1879 and named after Prince George, Duke of Cambridge and Commander-in-Chief of the Army at the time, much of the hospital's design was modelled on the Herbert Hospital in Woolwich, London, famous for its principal designer, Florence Nightingale.
Renowned for its exquisite architecture, you can see the famous clock tower throughout the neighbourhood.
The hospital has played a vital role in treating soldiers and civilians over many decades, including Sir Harold Gillies conducting groundbreaking reconstructive plastic surgery on patients during WWI.
The hospital closed its doors in 1996 due to high running costs and the discovery of asbestos in the walls, and sat abandoned for 30 years.
In September 2016 Rushmoor Borough Council's Development Management Committee granted permission to turn both the Cambridge Military and Louise Margaret Hospitals into homes. The agreed plans see the Cambridge Military and Louise Margaret Hospitals converted into 115 private family homes ranging from one-bedroom apartments to 4-bedroom houses with gardens.
Now the building will be restored, becoming a key focal point within Wellesley as both a residential and community space, serving generations to come.
The hospital is the next scheduled phase of the development, and we expect conversion work to begin early 2019. It will take several years to restore and regenerate this beloved building, but it will be well worth the wait.
A residential and community space, serving generations to come.